Local Activities‎ > ‎

Youth Combat

Date: Rapier on Tuesdays, Chivalric on Wednesdays

Time: 7pm – 8pm

Chivalric Place:  1441 W Indian Hills Rd Norman

Rapier Place: Buck Thomas Park, Oklahoma City

SCA Youth Chivalric Combat fighting is a fighting style based on the Medieval ideal of the Knight. All SCA combat is real and unchoreographed. Youth combat is for boys and girls age 6 to 15 years. They fight with foam-padded weapons. There are 3 age divisions within the program; 6-9 years, 10-12 years, and 13-15 years. The armor requirements and the strength of blows allowed increase as a child progresses through the levels. The full armor and weapon requirements, and rules for combat, may be found in the Complete Participants Handbook, which is available on the Kingdom Earl Marshal's web page.

Beginning Equipment for Youth Combat:

Each new youth fighter should wear long pants, a long-sleeve shirt, closed-toe (please not black soled) shoes, lightweight gloves and groin protection. A parent, or an adult designated by the parent, needs to be present throughout the practice.

There is some loaner armor, but anything you can provide yourself is helpful. Armor requirements vary by age, but all ages will need a helmet with face guard (such as a hockey or lacrosse helmet) and a gorget (medium-weight leather with 1/2-inch closed-cell padding). Knee and elbow pads are required for the older kids and helpful for the younger. And of course, feel free to contact your friendly local marshal with any questions!

Possible changes and cancellations may happen due to conflicts or severe weather, in which the center may be closed for the evening. Updates are announced on the Baronial mailing list or Facebook.  

Combat scenarios range from 1:1 tourney style up to 600 vs 600 war melees! Check out the event ad and/or website to see what type of fighting scenarios are being done at the event so you are ready. 

(Typically is 1:1 tourney style unless it is a war or melee event)

Authorization cards

Need a replacement? Click here to print or have your fighter authorization card e-mail to you.

Has yours expired? Contact a Youth authorizing marshal, but go ahead and take the forms with you, just in case they don't have any!

Temporary authorization & Authorization submission form

Authorization form must be submitted to the Marshallate Secretary.

For more information, contact the Baronial Youth Marshall, whose information can be found on the officers page.

Web Minister,
Jun 12, 2017, 8:13 AM
Web Minister,
May 11, 2017, 8:26 AM
Web Minister,
Jun 12, 2017, 8:13 AM